The Royal Savage Yacht Club is thrilled to announce that we have been selected to host a US Powerboating Safe Powerboat Handling course August 5-6th at Point Bay Marina.
Are you ever unsure who has the right of way when meeting other boats on the water? Do you find yourself a bit tentative when approaching the one open spot on a service dock packed with other boats on a windy day? Are you the designated “first mate” on your boat and always hand off the close quarters maneuvering to you partner? Are you unsure you could safely handle a man overboard or other emergency on the water? Do you need help with the basics of your engine and electrical systems? If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, this course is for you!
This 16 hour course includes extensive “at the helm – on the water” instruction as well as classroom time. It covers everything you need to know to feel more confident at the helm.
The course is being taught by Confident Captain/Ocean Pros, one of only 33 authorized US Powerboat Training Centers in the US. With 2 Captains instructing we will be able to offer hands on training for both single engine and twin engine powerboats.
· Many insurance companies offer discounts if you pass this course.
· If you were born born after January 1, 1974, you must complete a Vermont State Police approved course to legally operate a motorized vessel (including sailboats under power.)
· The State of Vermont recognizes this course as satisfying their boater education requirement.
· The US Coast Guard and the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA) have approved this course.
· The cost includes all training materials and if you pass you will earn the US Powerboating Safe Powerboat Handling certificate.
Normally you would have to travel to the coast to obtain hands-on training of this caliber. The other locations the course is being offered this summer are in MD, the Bronx, NC, RI, FL, Chicago and CA. So, bringing the course to Lake Champlain is a huge coup!
In order to maximize helm time for all participants we are limiting enrollment to 10 people. RSYC club members will receive $100 off the regular course price of $525.
Past Commodore John Foley and Pam Foley both took this course at a Merchant Marine Academy and said it was hands down the best thing they ever did to improve their boating experience.
If you’d like to use your own boat in the course to maximize your learning experience please let us know… we’ll do our best to make that work!
For more information and to reserve your place email Wendy Friant at firstname.lastname@example.org
Sign up early to guarantee your spot. We will be opening the course to other clubs/organizations on the lake starting Friday, July 21.
Have fun and be safe,
Your friends at RSYC